Twenty-two years after he was introduced to the world with "Send Them" Š—” the landmark left-field 12-inch that launched the Solesides label b/w DJ Shadow's "Entropy" Š—” Lyrics Born has made some of the most organic, original, and adventurous music of his entire career.
While touring with Latyrx last, he made time for an extended stay in a place that he's long admired: America's first and last real-deal music town, New Orleans. LB stocked up on pads and pens, rented a cozy house three blocks from the famous Maple Leaf Bar, and booked two weeks' worth of sessions with Galactic guys Robert Mercurio and Ben Ellman at their Uptown studio.
Then they let it rip.
Funk has always been a part of what Lyrics Born does Š—” his unique vocal swagger dishes out melody and rhyme with equal aplomb. But never has he evoked the idiom so directly or made an album that feels so alive. He turned the production over entirely (also a first) to his NOLA colleagues, giving them space to do what they do best, and him the freedom to write.
Mercurio and Ellman wrangled a host of talent to execute the vision: Trombone Shorty, Ivan Neville, the Preservation Jazz Hall Band, Corey Glover (Living Colour), Corey Henry (Rebirth Brass Band), David Shaw (The Revivalists), and Billy Martin. Amidst all that quirk, soul, and raw talent, LB was reborn.
1) Real People
2) Chest Wide Open ft. David Shaw of The Revivalists
3) $ir Racha
4) All Hail The Queen (Ma Belle Reine) ft. Ivan Neville of Dumpstaphunk
5) Rock-Rock-Away ft. Galactic
6) Holy Matrimony
7) Around The Bend ft. Ivan Neville of Dumpstaphunk
8) Good Riddance
9) WTF? ft. Galactic
10) Mr. D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. ft. Corey Henry (Rebirth Brass Band/Treme Funktet)
11) In Confidence
12) That's It! (Real People Remix) ft. Preservation Hall Jazz Band
13) 2nd Act ft. Trombone Shorty & Corey Glover (Living Colour)