The collective that includes the Poets of Rhythm, Whitefield Brothers and Karl Hector & The Malcouns present a series of rare funk, jazz, soul and world-psych singles compiled as an album. Out NOW – worldwide.
It’s been nearly fifteen years since the vinyl-only releases by the various ensembles helmed by Jay and Max Whitefield – also known as the Whitefield Brothers and the nucleus of the revered Poets of Rhythm – were collated onto an Original Raw Soul album. The last – 1997’s More Original Raw Soul – largely contained the duo’s heavy funk and soul… well before the aughts’ Deep Funk revival that one could argue began with these two German siblings’ earliest recordings.
Fitting, then, that this – Original Raw Soul III – looks back at recordings dating back over twenty years but never once sounds dated or dull. There’s the garage funk of the early Poets incarnation the Bus People Express; the deep jazz of vocalist Bajka gigging with a Max Whitefield ensemble; the pan-African psych-jazz of the Whitefield Brothers. And that’s just three of the ensembles contained within. Original Raw Soul III’s sixteen tracks that span the gamut of forty years of musical innovation, recorded over the past twenty years, and presented anew today.
1. New Process – Bus People Theme
2. Poets Of Rhythm – Summerdays (Inst.)
3. Transgressors – Will Power
4. Bajka – A Vision 1/3
5. Karl Hector & The Malcouns – J.B. R.I.P.
6. New Process – Freedom
7. Mercy Sluts – $600 Song
8. Karl Hector & The Funk Pilots – Funky Sex Machine
9. Bajka – The Only Religion That I Believe
10. Whitefield Brothers – The Bastard
11. Polyversal Souls – Muswell Hill Run
12. Transgressors – Money For Born, Money For Die
13. Karl Hector & The Funk Pilots – Free I Wanna Be
14. Whitefield Brothers – Savannahstan
15. Neo Hip Hot Kiddies Community – Hip Walk
16. Poets Of Rhythm – Flight To St. Vincent
17. Mercy Sluts – Banana Republic
1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 13, 16 , 17 produced by J. Whitefield, B. Baral, M. Whitefield (The Soul-Saints); 3, 12 by J. Whitefield, W. Holland, M. Whitefield; 4, 9, 11, 15 by M. Whitefield; 5 by J. Whitefield, Z. Curulija, T. Myland ; 10 by Whitefield Brothers; 14 by J. Whitefield